History of the Midland Curling Club
The first curling rink in Midland was constructed by D.L. White at the corner of Dominion and Gloucester Sts. The curlers had been using a skating rink at the corner of Dominion and Second .
On Thursday March 13 a meeting was held in the town hall to discuss the formation of a curling club in Midland. Two hundred perspective individuals were in invited. Eleven directors were elected with D. S. Pratt taking on the role as President. The first board of directors included W.S. Benson, N.L. Playfair, W.A. Bishop, Ed Letherby, P.J. Fasken, D.L. White, D. Horrell, Ed Burke, W.G. Cave and J.W. Bald.
Before the end of the meeting all of the people present were asked to sign up as members. Fifty one prominent citizens penned their names.
After numerous meetings with the town and the Agricultural Society plans were drawn up for construction of a new building on the Midland Fair grounds. The building was designed by architect Wilfred F. Smith and constructed by J.C McMullen, contractor and the Cummings Brothers Will and Isaac who became life long members of the curling club. The Cummings Bros. also built the addition in 1959.
The first curling season was held in the new building.
Twenty two teams competed in that first year.
Rules were Tankard standards.: 8:00pm start, 12 end games
The address of the club was simply King Street and the telephone number was 55.
This trophy was presented at the end of the first season to R.F. White (Skip), W.A. Glass, (Vice), W.E. Preston (Second) and N. Laurendeau (Lead). The trophy was donated by D.S. Spratt, the first president of the club.
The ownership of the building was passed on to the town.
The first bonspiel for the new club was played on February 24.
36 rinks competed in the ‘gala’ affair with teams playing till 4 am then back on the ice at 7 am.
A devastating fire destroys the hockey arena next to the curling rink. The Arena gardens was built and would become the source of artificial ice for the curling club
Initially the club used natural ice but in 1933 they made the switch to artificial ice, having it piped in underground from the Arena Gardens. Thirteen miles of piping was used for the two buildings. At the time it covered 24,000 square feet was the largest ice surface in the world to be refrigerated by one plant. Nine tons of cork insulation was installed along with thirteen miles of cooling pipes under the floors of the two buildings. The Ice plant used 17 tons of calcium chloride for the brine and fifteen hundred pounds of liquid ammonia! At the time it was the only facility between Toronto and Winnipeg with artificial ice.
The start of Womens curling. In 1942 the Midland curling club wins the Ontario Governors General's trophy. Del Hastings and Fred hill are the skips
The Ladies Ontario Curling Association is formed. In the late 1940's mixed curling begins.
The Big Mixed Bonspiel was held using both the curling club and the hockey Arena. It later was renamed to The 30,000 Island Bonspiel
A new addition is built by the Cummings Bros.
Midland wins the Colts Curling Competition with Russ Howard as Skip.
Three members of the Ladies Curling Club were appointed so sit on the Board of Directors for Midland Curling Club. Bill Howard is the Club manager.